Search This Blog

Monday, February 08, 2010

Bookworm


Mondays are generally the day we visit the library. My daughter is a book lover, and now that I am not reading for education but reading for leisure, I am a book lover too. This month my daughter's preschool is collecting books for charity, and we will gather books from our home library to donate. It is amazing how many children do not have access to books, and I would like to challenge you to find a way to donate a book to someone who doesn't have one. Perhaps through your church or other organization you may be able to organize a book drive/event to pass on the love of reading. I read to my daughter daily, and last year, as a two year old, she completed the summer reading program at our local library. Now it was a lot of work for me being that I was the actual reader, but when I realized we read over 100 books in three months I was encouraged to keep up the good work. Reading is fundamental, and my daughter's love of reading has pushed me to love reading again. I have taken to African-American fiction authors, and have fallen in love with Kimberla Lawson Roby. I am on the waiting list for her new book "Be Careful What You Pray For" at my local library.

As we prepare for Read Across America Day, March 2, 2010let's curl up with a good book, find a way to give a book to another, and spread the love of reading all over the world.

Let me know what you think. Leave a comment. What book is on your night stand right now? What book did you have to read to your son or daughter EVERY night? (We really love Silly Sally)

1 comment:

Krissna Jones said...

Kimberla Lawson Roby...I have not read her books in a while. Curtis Black is a mess. I am going to read the new book too and catch up on the series. Nay, Mom and I enjoyed a book by Beverly Jenkins- Bring On The Blessings. The second one is called A second Helping. I haven't read that one yet.

Thanks for the Roby reminder.