Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Can Bleach and I Can Mop


As an update to my previous post about my cleaning abilities (read more here), I am pleased to inform you that I did it - I mopped my kitchen floor without the Swiffer!  I also took it one step forward...I bleached clothes.  This is something I neglected to tell you in the earlier post, but bleaching was a foreign activity and was a non-existent part of my laundry routine. This week I was adventurous and I decided I could do it – bleach and mop.

 
 

I first attacked bleaching. Now I am sure many of you think this absolutely ludicrous that I have not bleached clothes in my entire life, but it is true. Growing up we did not bleach clothes, and I thought washing them was all that was required. I remember reading tags on clothing with bleach recommendations, but I am sure I didn't think the recommendation pertained to me. What does bleach do anyway? I know about its cleaning and disinfecting powers because I use it to clean my daughter's toys, but what does it do to clothes? At my husband's suggestion, I decided to try bleaching to make our whites whiter. (That's what the commercials say.) My husband talked me through the process, and I tried my first load. However, before I could do this, I had to further sort my already sorted clothes. Whew. Determining who should get bleach and who shouldn't isn't a cakewalk either. I made a few incorrect suggestions, which my husband helped me correct, and NOW I was ready to go. I took my load to the washer and let the water run in, then I followed the directions on the bottle of bleach. When I took the clothes out of the washing machine, I must admit, they were indeed whiter! Who would've known? I was very proud of myself, and so was my husband who I believe was secretly hoping I would master this bleaching task.

On to round two - the dreaded mopping chore.

 


Keep in mind I do mop my floors, but not with a traditional mop and mop bucket. I believe the Swiffer is the greatest invention since the wheel. Where would I be without my Swiffer? I guess the answer is – a really dirty house! I started by evaluating my task, and realized that my biggest concern with mopping is the dirt on the floor that will get all tangled up in my mop. So I heard somewhere that you should sweep well before you mop. Therefore part 1 of this task is sweeping the floor. Then I realized that I want to mop the entire floor, therefore I would have to move a few things. I am a bit embarrassed to share that there were many locations in my kitchen that it was obvious had not been mopped since my former housekeeper's last visit. Oh boy! So part 2 of the task is clearing the floor. Then I wondered, what do you put in the water to clean the floor? I have Swiffer solution, but I am sure with all of the cleaning products I own, something could be used for mopping. Ah ha! I realized that I have cleaning products that were given to us when we purchased our water treatment system, and one is a disinfecting cleaning solution that is good for mopping (says the label). Yippie. So now I have one last hurdle to overcome – I realize there are scuff marks on the floor from our shoes and I am not sure that the mop will get them up. Ok, improvising I decide to try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the scuffs before I mop, and it works. Now I am ready. I have cleared and swept the floor, chosen my solution and filled my mop bucket, and removed the scuffs from the floor. I begin to mop. I even mop the foyer and bathroom while I am at it. When I am done, I sit back and admire my work. I think I have done a good job. My husband later passes by the kitchen floor and comments positively on the floor. I have completed the task of mopping!

I have to say it was a lot of work in my book, but maybe after doing it often I can get faster at it. Truth be told, I will probably still Swiffer sometimes, but I will add "real" mopping to my cleaning routine.

Leave a comment. Do you have any mopping tips for me? Do you have a favorite mopping solution?

UPDATE: My daughter and I stayed home from work and school today, and I think the bug is finally gone. Thank you for all of your prayers and kind words.

No comments: