Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Private Practice Pickle


A new segment on My Life As is the Private Practice Pickle (or the Pickle of the Week).

I have always been a fan of the ABC hit drama Private Practice, a spinoff from Grey's Anatomy. The show highlights the lives of doctors in a private practice and the cases they receive. I have noticed that each episode comes with a life altering decision that must be made in about 1 hour. Every week I watch the show and follow up with a discussion with my co-workers to ask the question "What would you do?" This water cooler type of discussion is becoming something we look forward to in our week.

Starting this week, I want to know "What would you do" in response to the Private Practice Pickle dilemma of the week. To be sensitive to those, including myself, who do not have the time to watch the show the day it airs, Thursday night at 9 pm Central, I will not pose the Private Practice Pickle until the week after the air date. For example, the Pickle of the Week will cover the episode that aired last Thursday, February 18, 2010. I will try my best not to spoil the outcome, but if you are not caught up and the episode is stuck in your DVR then please refrain from reading the post. I will also try to give enough information for you to participate if you are not a fan of the show, but beware, you may become one. Also, if you are interested in watching the show, you can do it for free online by clicking here.

Pickle of the Week (Episode: "Til Death Do Us Part" - Show Aired Feb. 18, 2010)

You and your spouse have been trying to get pregnant for a very long time, and you finally find success through a fertilization process. You are now 25 weeks pregnant, and you go into labor well before the 36 week threshold for a baby to survive outside of the womb. Due to complications your baby must be born, but is born with many medical difficulties to overcome. The baby cannot see and will probably be blind. The baby's digestive tract is compromised. The baby is suffering. The doctors see a future of multiple surgeries for the baby, and do not hold out much hope that the child will have a good quality of life if it does survive. Your baby has been in the NICU and you have not been able to hold the baby since birth. After a failed surgery to correct one of the baby's medical issues, the doctor's offer you the opportunity to hold your child, but inform you that it will probably be the only and last time you will hold the baby because it may not survive without assistance from machines.

My question to you is – What would you do? Would you take the opportunity to hold your child knowing it might be the last time?

I understand that being transparent and offering your opinion on "touchy" subjects is often very frightening. You may wonder what people will think of you based on your reply, especially if it is not the "popular" reply. I am using My Life As to open minds and hearts, and I want you to feel comfortable sharing your opinion.

Therefore, I offer you the following options to share on the Pickle of the Week post:

*You can leave a comment at the bottom of this post stating how you would respond to the dilemma in three ways:
  1. With your name
  2. Without your name
  3. With your name, but ask me not to publish on the website
NOTE: I have to accept all comments before they show up on the blog, and will honor your request not to display your comment if you desire.

Please respond with respect and in love.

As for me, I believe I would take the opportunity to hold my baby. (However, it would take me longer than an hour to make that decision.)  I think about my daughter, and as much as I would love to do all I could do to keep her alive, I know her suffering would hurt me more. I would hold her to let her know I am here for her. I would then pray for a miracle. Perhaps God would spare her life and she would breathe on her own in my arms. Maybe He has a greater plan for her. I don't believe in playing God. I once heard a saying that I think would apply here…Let God do His job, and you worry about doing your job. I think our job is putting our trust in Him. I would try to find the strength to listen for His answer.

No comments: