Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Good Friends


My Grandma always told me you only need a few good friends, and now I know exactly what she meant.  I am truly blessed with a few friends that I have had for many years.  I love the fact that my friends have seen me through good times and bad times.  They have seen my ugly days and my most fabulous days.  I am really drawn to television shows and movies that depict friendship that lasts through the ages because that is what I would love to experience. 

I would like to highlight a friendship that I share with someone who is near and dear to me.  She has always been there for me, even when I was crying outside of class as I prepared for my 12th grade English final exam that I was sure I would fail and they would not let me graduate.  This friend is always there even though we live far away.  I can call her every day or once a quarter, and when we get on the phone it feels like we pick up where we left off.  No matter when I call her she answers, unless she is hiding being admitted into the hospital.  We have a motto for our friendship - "If you like it, then I love it."  This allows us the ability to voice our opinions, but in the end if the other person has a darn good reason for their actions, and it is not putting them in danger, then the other person is supportive until the very end.  My friend knows me; almost as well as anyone can know another person.  We were mistaken for each other in high school often, but ironically we did hang with the same people or aspire to do the same things.  We went on to college and she pledged a sorority...I was not feeling it.  She is great at being a sister!  We seem to travel through life on parallel paths.  If one calls with a problem or a need to vent, the other has just experienced the same thing, or has an experience that allows for an empathetic ear.  I don't know what I would do without her.  Our friendship has led me to a few conclusions about good friends:

  1. Good friends transcend time and place.
  2. Good friends don't judge you, but they do judge your actions.
  3. Good friends are honest, but with so much love that you are not hurt by it.
  4. Good friends never judge you by how many times you call or come see them.
  5. Good friends always know when to speak and when to let you speak (or monopolize the entire conversation.)
  6. Good friends are available day and night.
  7. Good friends are understanding of your place in life.
  8. Good friends allow you room to grow.
  9. Good friends remind you of who you once were - for better or for worse.
  10. Good friends can make you laugh so hard you cry.
I thank my friend for always knowing how to pick me up when I am down.  I am glad she is around to remind me of who I once was and to journey with me towards who I will become.  I love you. 

I pray you have a good friend, and not too many, to walk with you through life.  If you have not found that one, try being a friend to someone else.  Friendship is often contagious and is always selfless.

No comments: