Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Suffering Produces Perseverance


When I think of suffering I immediately equate it with tears, pain, hopelessness and despair, but I read a scripture today that tells a different story. Romans 5:3-4 exudes hope, and I was completely perplexed by the thought of hope in suffering. The scripture lays out a hierarchy that leads to hope, but it starts with suffering. Now how can that be? How can you go from something so negative and hurtful to something positive? "Rejoice in our suffering…suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." Huh? Say that again…and say it very slowly. How can suffering be good?

After taking a minute to consider that surely God can't be wrong, I realized where He may be coming from. As I look back over my life, and I don't have to look back too far, I can recall times when I suffered. I was brought to tears over an experience and at that moment I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Suffering by definition is supposed to be hard. Synonyms for suffering are pain, anguish, distress, misery, agony, torment and affliction. I wondered how I could move on from this suffering, and certainly how I could achieve perseverance as a result of it. Now the concept of perseverance is tricky because at first glance it may appear to insinuate movement in one direction or towards something, but that would be the verb persevere meaning to continue and never give up. The word perseverance used here is a noun which speaks to ones insistence, urgency, determination and firmness. Now it was starting to make more sense. I believe it is possible that suffering can produce perseverance. Look at it this way. If a baby is told to stay away from the stove because it is hot, refuses, and touches the stove she will likely be burned and experience pain. Most babies when approached with the same situation in the future are determined not to feel that kind of pain again and will opt not to touch the stove. Suffering is a part of life, but what really matters is how we respond to the suffering. Consequently, how we respond, and with what level of determination, will put us in the perseverance category.

Knowing what I know now, I don't think I mind the suffering if I can experience the perseverance that can follow. My friend told me today that life is a marathon, and since I believe that is true, I know when I run I must be steady, and determined. I must be willing to work at life for the rest of my life. I have to work towards knowing who I am and what I stand for. I must be deliberate and aggressive in this race despite any difficulties or setbacks.

So it appears to be through our suffering that we grow, and it is certainly through our suffering that we develop who we are – our character. Therefore all that is left is HOPE. Now that is easy. Hope is God and it is only achieved through Him. Wow! So I guess you can go from pain, anguish and distress to hope. It is ironic that a definition to hope is somebody or something that seems likely to bring success or relief. Enough said.

Enjoy the rest of your day…and your sufferings.

No comments: