Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Want To Be Known As…


I took a moment today to think about what I would love to have said about me at my funeral. I know that sounds a little dark, but just walk with me. I remember going to a funeral with my mom years ago, and I was absolutely touched by the things people had to say about my mom's friend. I listened to them all speak about this woman with such love and respect, and it was at that moment that I decided that I wanted to be remembered like that at my funeral. One of the things I want to be known as is – SELFLESS.

By definition SELFLESS means thinking of others first or putting other people's needs, interests, or wishes before your own. When I leave this earth destined for Heaven I hope the word SELFLESS is used to describe me. SELFLESS is certainly how I would describe Jesus, my greatest role model.

I think it is important to consider how you will be remembered because it will help you make decisions today. As a result I would like to present to you the top five ways I resolve to be more SELFLESS:
  1. Pray more for others. I know I can be a little self-centered when it comes to praying by always talking to God about my problems. However, I can only imagine the power in praying for others. I resolve to spend more time focusing on the prayer requests of others.
  2. Spend more time with family. Because my family is spread across the far reaches of this country it becomes hard to stay connected. I want to spend more time writing letters, sending cards, making phone calls, sending emails, and keeping up with this blog as a way to connect with family. I resolve to do these things no matter how busy my life may seem.
  3. Listen more attentively. Being born in the microwave generation, fast and easy are our favorite words. I really want to spend more time listening. When my friends or family call on me, I resolve to spend more time listening to them and less time talking about myself.
  4. Teach my children to be SELFLESS. It is really important to me to pass good character traits on to my children, and this is a great place to start. I resolve to take the time to teach SELFLESSNESS to my children daily. (Most importantly through my actions.)
  5. Be as transparent as possible. I know this one seems strange, but I strongly feel that being an open book for others can help them through difficult times. People learn best from experience or from the experience of others, but how can they learn anything if we aren't willing to share. I know for a fact that there is no benefit in hiding who we are or pretending that we are something we are not. I want you to know about my mistakes so you will not make them yourself. We have to learn from one another, and I resolve to be open about my experiences, especially in this blog. If you want to know, just ask.
How do you want to be remembered at your funeral? Leave a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful practicum of Mark 12:31. cf. v.30
Loving our neighbor is the earthly demonstration of our love for God.